After some time, while standing in the water, I saw a suspicious looking Cuban guy hanging around on the beach in distance. Few minutes later I saw him going through the Finish couple's bag while they lay asleep and unaware. Martin started walking toward him and he stopped. He explained that he was a police officer and that he was just making sure that us tourists are fine. He went on his way. Later James and I were lying on the beach while Martin went for a walk. The Finish guy had got up and walked into the sea for a swim. Few minutes later I opened my eyes to the yelling of James "Oi! Oi!" I looked over and saw the same Cuban guy smothering the Finish girl's head in the sand while trying to snatch her bag. She wasn't letting go. Both James and I sprinted over there. He saw us coming, gave up and ran off away from the beach empty handed. What he didn't know that by this time Martin the Argentinian had made his way around in a circle to block his path. Martin landed his clenched fist in the robber's face. He must have seen stars at that moment but managed to make a run for it anyway.
This wasn't a tourist beach and so there were no police around to protect tourists, giving this guy an opportunity. Had he been caught robbing a tourist, this guy would have got the same jail sentence as murder, 20 year which is 20 times more than what he would get for robbing a Cuban.
After this event James, Martin and I went in search for some food. We found Cuban place. The menu had only 2 things: spaghetti and pizza for 12 pence each and then beer for 36 pence each. Hard to believe, We'd had a day out for almost a pound each. While eating, sitting across from us was Cuban girl. Martin started a conversation and bought her a drink. She was teacher and fluent in English, German, French and Italian as well as Spanish. Martin invited her over but she daren't come explaining that police could arrest her. Same old story! James and I left Martin and her to chat and got on the bus back to Havana.
No comments:
Post a Comment